Senior Advisor External Communications
Location: Based at the City campus but may be required to work and/or be based at other campuses
Term: 12-month Fixed Term
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 132 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMIT’s leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally-focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
The team is branched into two groups comprised of research, and corporate affairs. You'll act as the bridge between the two that ties these elements together to achieve the team's collective goals. This is a very immersive and collaborative team that embraces RMIT culture and the 2020 vision.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to build transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
When you join our team, you'll be able to access a range of benefits. From travel to fitness, there's something for everyone.
About the role and college / portfolio:
The Senior Advisor, External Communications will contribute to the success of the RMIT Strategy by supporting a best practice RMIT-wide external communication program.
A senior member of a dynamic team, and supporting the Assistant Director, External Communications, this role is responsible for managing and delivering an effective RMIT-wide external communications agenda. With a strong focus on identifying and delivering external PR opportunities and managing University reputation, effective delivery will position and protect the University as a leader in higher education and research.
This role will work closely with partners of all levels across the University, particularly the University Communications Team.
The Operations Portfolio enables an integrated, enterprise wide delivery for standard methodology student and staff experiences.
The Portfolio incorporates the following business units: Planning and Operational Excellence, Communications, Enterprise Project Management Office, Global Marketing & Student Recruitment, Human Resources, Information and Technology Services, Office of the Chief Operating Officer, Procurement and Property Services Group.
The Portfolio houses significant drivers and delivery components across the staff and student journeys and enables the overall experience for both groups. The Portfolio is integral in bringing the RMIT strategy to life, across the globe. Each of these functions supports the global operations of the University both directly as well as through its controlled entities.
You are an individual who is highly proactive when it comes to media opportunities, and networking. You have a breadth of knowledge focused on journalism and public relations. You’ll be highly motivated to share the extraordinary stories from our students, the university itself, and where RMIT research is headed.
You will thrive in an environment that is contemporary and flexible in its thinking and actions. We want leaders who will empower to make a difference, foster great ideas, drive innovative research and instil a strong culture of service excellence and quality output.
If this sounds like the role for you please submit your Cover letter and CV by: August 30th, 2019
- Tertiary qualification in an appropriate field (eg. Journalism, public relations, communications) or substantial and relevant experience.
- Proven experience in a highly-effective external communications function.
- Outstanding communications planning, delivery and measurement that contributed to strategic organisational objectives
- Experience in encouraging a workplace culture of high performance and promoting accountability for outcomes.
- Ability to advise University leadership on managing public issues and directly undertake media/issues management.
Bring your whole self to work:
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond. We’re proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- Exceeding our targets in our Reconciliation Action Plan for Bundyi Girri – an important step in our reconciliation journey.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.